Optimum Health Solutions
Visit the website
Suite 2, 114 Main Street, Blacktown, NSW 2148
Ph: (02) 8599 6275
Fax: (02) 8583 3135
TYPE 2 DIABETES AND EXERCISE AT OPTIMUM HEALTH SOLUTIONS BLACKTOWN
An Allied Health team with Accredited Dietitians as well as Accredited EPs run an appointment based treatment that allows success with individuals held accountable to their lifestyle change.
What does the program involve?
- An individual assessment to review a patients overall medical history, medications, physical capacities and goal setting
- Developing an appropriate exercise program to be performed at the studio in Blacktown
- Supervised gymnasium/hydrotherapy sessions, which are undertaken in a group environment (up to 12 people)
- These sessions are performed twice per week under the supervision of Optimum’s Exercise Physiologists over four weeks
- A home program is also provided to perform independently
Why use Exercise to Manage Type 2 diabetes:
- An individualised exercise program has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity insulin dependent glucose uptake from increases in muscle GLUT4 number and function, increases in muscle capillarisation and blood flow (5)
- Reducing body fat and improving lean muscle mass (5), which can translate to improvements in physical functioning and independence
- Reducing other health co-morbidities such as hypertension, cardiovascular disease and obesity.
The guidelines for incorporating an exercise program for the management of type 2 diabetes have been set:
- A minimum of 210 minutes per week of moderate-intensity exercise or 125 minutes per week of vigorous intensity exercise
- Two or more resistance training sessions per week (2–4 sets of 8–10 repetitions)
How to refer to Optimum Health Solutions:
- Type 2 diabetes patients are able to attend the program with Optimum Health Solutions through a Medicare referral
- The referring GP will receive a report following the initial assessment and at the completion of the program from the treating Exercise Physiologist at Optimum Health Solutions
All stages of health development are catered for with:
- A purpose built functional rehabilitation gym and state of the art hydrotherapy pool, which holds two underwater treadmills.
- The benefits of a hydrotherapy pool in early stages of functional rehabilitation include helping relieve pain, promote relaxation, mobilise joints, strengthen muscles, develop balance and coordination in a low weight bearing environment.
- There is also have a studio in Werrington for people who live closer to St Mary’s.